Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rosehill Seafood - Italian salad dressing recipe

Who? Myself
When: 6-23-2010 at 12:30 pm
Where? Rose Hill Seafood: 2621 Hamilton Rd. Columbus, Ga. 31904
What did I have? I had the seafood platter. This was the first time that I have been to Rose Hill Seafood so I decided to get the seafood platter and sample a variety and see what I liked.
Why? They were busy and had a full parking lot, but they still found me a table right away. The service was great, the food was good, and the prices were reasonable. Even as busy as they were it was easy to get seated, served and back on your way in 45 minutes, which makes it convenient for an hour lunch break. The shrimp was crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, no chewy overcooked shrimp here. The oysters even though they were fried retained their flavor and were identifiable through their crispy coating. The crab cake was nice and moist inside it’s crunchy fried exterior. The catfish was a little over cooked and not quite as flakey as I like and the breading was falling off. The scallops were perfectly done and extremely tender, probably my favorite part of the meal. The next best was the oysters.
The meal was served with lemons, onions, pickles and a baked potato, which I had replaced by a salad. The salad was mostly iceberg lettuce with sparse slivers of carrots and red cabbage. The salad had a choice of dressing and I chose the Italian. The dressing was served three in small cups, which are great for portion control. I only needed one cup of the dressing, which was flavorful but ordinary. I cut up part of the onion that was served with the meal and put it on the plain salad to give it a little more flavor. I also had the sweet iced tea to drink. It had a good flavor without too much sugar.
What would I change? I would add a little more of the carrot and red cabbage to the salad as well as some red onion and a second kind of lettuce or spinach. The salad would be better with a fresh homemade dressing instead of the prepackaged dressing I was served. For the over cooked catfish I would make sure the oil was up to temperature which would brown the catfish quicker giving it less time to cook and making the breading less likely to fall off. I would also like to see more offerings on their menu that are not fried or raw. The majority of the menu was served fried or raw, with a few items offered grilled (mostly chicken).
Would I eat there again? Yes, the food was good overall and I like seafood.
On a scale of 1-10 I would rate this establishment a 6.

Recipe: Simple Italian dressing
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup white wine vinegar
Dash of salt
Dash of balsamic vinegar
1 tbs. Italian seasonings
1 tsp. black pepper
Combine and shake vigorously and let sit for a few hours to let the flavors mingle. Shake again and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment