Monday, December 12, 2011

Persimmon Apple Chutney

My neighbor has shared her glut of persimmons with me.  I love eating them fresh, they are a variety called fuyu, but I have been given more than I can/want to eat before they get too mushy for me, I prefer crunchy ones.  Most persimmons are very sour/tart/astringent when crunchy/firm but Fuyu's are as sweet as candy.  I decided to make an Persimmon Apple Chutney. The recipe is below.  I like this chutney with curries, meat, fish, and some soups.  Enjoy


Persimmon Apple Chutney

12 firm fuyu persimmons
5 tart apples
2 quarts apple cider vinegar
2 14 oz can diced tomato (or fresh if available)
1 cup diced celery 
3 onions diced
3 large bell peppers
2 oz crystallized ginger
3cups sugar
2 tbsp salt

Core apples then dice everything fresh. Mince the ginger. Combine everything in a large pot and cook at a low boil for 1 hour. Fill sterilized hot jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Seal and let cool. Makes 12-15 pints.

Serve with roast, fish, lamb, or curry

1 comment: