Friday, April 22, 2011

Craigslist Bamboo Score

I was checking the free section on our local craigslist and found someone giving away bamboo.  They had bought a house that the previous owner had planted bamboo and not tried to contain it and it had taken over the back yard.  I went and cut 2 truck loads, which is not that much when you consider that the tops have lots of branches that don't compress well.  Below is a picture of one truck load drying after I removed the limbs.  I plan to use the larger sections to stake tomato plants and the tops as bean poles.  I also collected a few young shoots to cook.  If you have ever seen the little cans of bamboo shoots in the store it is the young new growth, less than 24", that has been pealed and par boiled.  I boiled mine for 20 minutes, even though it was not the bitter variety, then sauteed it in butter and soy sauce then topped it with salt and pepper.  Free garden materials beat buying them any day. and free food is doubly good.




No comments:

Post a Comment