Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Garden Update 4-12-11

Three weeks ago I posted about building my garden beds.  Since then I have planted everything and almost everything is up.  Because of the rainy weather I ended up planting over the course of a week by taking advantage of breaks in the weather.  On a side note, if I was building a conventional tilled garden I would have lost 2 weeks due to the rain.

Peone is in bloom!!!





























An overview of the garden




























On the far left in the pots are Apple Seedlings that I started in February.  Then Bed 1 - has cool weather vegetables, Bed 2 - has beans corn and okra, and bed 3 - had white onions, red onions, 2 kinds of leeks, 3 kinds of garlic, and some shallots.





























Herbs in bed 1 you may not be able to see everything, but there are: sage, thyme, lavender, lemon basil, lemon balm, parsley, cilantro, scallions, spicy globe bush basil, and genovese basil.  I also planted dill, ginger, and coriander in some of my flower beds.





























Spinach


Radish


Mescalune - Lettuce - Asian Red Lettuce These are separate  plantings, but I'll just show 1 to save some pictures.



Arugula


Kale



Rainbow Chard



Beets



Peas Oregon and Alaska varieties



Bed 2

Okra

Green been, bush


Wade's Giant Indian Corn


Contender wax bean, bush (left) and Sweet Corn (right)





























Bed 3

Garlic (left), White onions (right), Leeks (left behind the kalrobi), Red onions (right behind the kalrobi)





























Bed 4

Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash, Cucumber, Zucchini, and lettuce




























Lettuce


More Apple Seedlings - If anyone around Columbus would like a few let me know.  These are going to South Carolina to my brother and Dad.


Raised Bed

Strawberries!


Test Onion - Putting up a bloom/seed stalk.  If you plant this much onion then it will go to seed, or produce lots of green onions.


Asparagus


Wooden seed trays


Thornless Blackberries


Bed 5
There is not much to look at right now, but I have 6 types of melons planted plus 3 kinds of squash and some bushel basket gourds.

Melons


I have also added 2 varieties of grapes, raspberries, 3 more kinds of potatoes, wild flowers, flowers, artichokes, broccoli, 3 types of eggplant, and wild garlic.

I'll try to make future garden post a little shorter and lighter on pictures, but right now everything is still so small that you can not see anything in the overview pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment