Friday, March 11, 2011

Ranch dressing recipe

Last night we went to a Sonic (I know we are not perfect) and they gave me a packet of "ranch" dressing with my dish, even though I said I didn't want it.  I already had good ranch that I had made waiting at home.  I decided to check out the ingredient list and compare it to my ranch dressing.  Theirs had 34 ingredients, including HFCS. Mine had 13 including the ingredients in the store bought mayo, and that could be reduced to if I made my own mayo.  If making mayo scared you then google immersion blender mayo.

Ranch Dip or Dressing
Easy
5 minutes to make

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream (get the full fat stuff it only has 1 ingredient, cultured cream)
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 small clove of garlic (can be replaced with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder)
1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped or 2 tbsp if using dried
salt
juice of half of a lemon
milk or butter milk

All of these measurements are subjective and can be modified at will and still make a great dressing. I recommend keeping at a minimum 1 part mayo to 2 parts sour cream or vise versa.

Mince the garlic clove and sprinkle with salt, then use a fork and work the garlic and salt together till it makes a paste, about 30-90 seconds depending on the fineness of your mince. Scrape this pulp up and add to a mixing bowl.  Add all of the other ingredients except milk and mix thoroughly. If you want a dip, then stop here, if you want dressing then add milk till it reaches the consistency that you like.  For dressing, pour into a small jar or old dressing bottle and store in the refrigerator.  For the dip place it into a small air tight bowl, an empty sour cream container works well. Enjoy

Warning flavors will intensify by a day after making it.  If you put too much garlic or pepper you will know it the next day.  This recipe can be served immediately, or you can let the flavors meld for a day.

If you want to add more pepper or garlic, chipotle, scallions, green onion, bacon, cayenne, paprika, or pretty much any other spice feel free to experiment to find what fits your taste best.

If you could not tell by the ingredients list this needs to be refrigerated till use, not left on the table like mass produced ranch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment